Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Estrogen Extravaganza 2009

Still coming down off of an amazing weekend with some great ladies. It was a meeting of 13 blog friends. Some had known each other IRL for years, but for many, it was the first time meeting. I was among the latter group. It was everything I had hoped for it to be. And more. Each and every one of them was as beautiful and warm and funny in real life as they are on their blogs.

I can't even tell you how much we laughed. So much that we scared off a table of elderly folks at the famous Apple Barn restaurant. Shelley has THE best laugh. We actually overheard them say that they hoped our food arrived soon so we would SHUT UP. Then they got up and stomped off. Which just goes to prove that old age and nice aren't necessarily companions.

And there were screams. We went to see Paranormal Activity. While Lula cowered behind her pillow (YES, she brought a pillow to the theater), I hid my face in Brandy's shoulder, who in turn hid her eyes under her shirt, all while Heather giggled at us fraidy cats. That movie is just about the scariest thing I've ever seen. It got my heart pounding almost as much as Lula's driving*. Needless to say, I slept with the light on the rest of our stay there. Sorry, Jane!

And we ate SO much. Between the crack bars Denise brought and the caramel popcorn Lizzy Beth brought (please, please, please post the recipes, ladies!) and the vast quantities of food we all brought and prepared, I all but waddled home. Which would probably have gotten me home faster considering Tennessee is now officially the worst state in the country for traffic. Seriously. People told me it was bad, but I thought, whatever, it's Tennessee, for crying out loud, how bad can it be. Yeah. It's bad.

And there was a raucous game of 80's Scene It, during which we all showed our age and passion for pop culture trivia. Kat might just be one of the smartest people around. Followed by a viewing of Space Camp, only one of the best movies ever. Made back when Jaoquin was still a Leaf and John Locke had hair.

And there was a lively discussion and demonstration about "crescent rolls" led by Melissa. That girl really knows her stuff.

And there was horseback riding. Where I had to go and admit that I had ridden before so they gave me the "stubborn" one. Which I think is code for "you don't know ridin', yankee" because that horse went on to be the biggest pain in the butt and I spent half of the hour long ride with the trail guide holding my reins, like a little kid.

There are so many more stories, but the best part was just getting to be face to face with women that I have been talking to for so long. Thanks Shannon and Angie for making it happen. Is it too early to start planning next year?

Now it's back to the grind, right Angela?

*No lie. That woman took those mountain curves like Mario Andretti. Love you, girl!

19 comments:

  1. Lula is an excellent driver! {I was fearless in the backseat. Or at least that's my story & I'm sticking to it.}

    But really I had the best driver on the way there & back. I was only mildly scared when we cut across 4 lanes of traffic in order to make our exit.

    Even with my heart palpatations I had THE BEST time and I'm ready to do it all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had a great time (and I SO GLAD YOU ARE BACK! Whew...that seemed like forever:)

    There is nothing better than getting away from it all for awhile:) Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a fabulous time. The only thing I would do different is bring my own car next time. Other than that, I'm so glad I gutted up and jumped out of my comfort zone and went for it. I love the pic of you and Neil on the beach on your wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm cracking up over your Mario comment...that hits the nail right on the head!

    The traffic sucked, but the company could NOT have been better.

    And it is NOT too early to start planning for next year...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so wish that I could have been there. Hopefully, next year.

    But I am SO glad that you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree - it's never too early to start planning for our next get together! I had a blast! Loved your recap. It will probably be this weekend before I can get my post up - work is killing.me.this.week.GAH! But I am enjoying reading everyone else's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun is that?! I love it when a girl weekend is all it's supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're making me really excited for my girls weekend (with high school pals) this weekend!

    I smiled from ear to ear as I read about your weekend--so happy for you and so glad you're back to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice recap....I think that about sums it up. Does this mean I can get by without a post about the trip. I'm still trying to catch up on sleep. I know it will never happen, but I just got up from a 3 hour nap....it's been a rough day. Leaving tomorrow for my moms. The funeral is Saturday....sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a GREAT weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss everyone! And ya'll are all so on the ball posting about it. I suck.

    Oh, we had such a good time...I can still sit here with a huge grin on my face remembering all of our antics. And wishing I could recall exactly what I did that was smart :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds amazing!! It is always wonderful when GOOD women get together. We need our girls to keep us sane (and let us be insane without judging)! AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seriously... best weekend ever... I can't WAIT for next year!! Or next month if we can get that to work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowza : ) It sounds like such a great time! I met some blogging friends at a photography conference recently and we were loud too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like the driver and my husband went to the same driving school, lol.

    And 80's scene it? OMG. How FUN is that? I bet I'd kill at that game, lol.

    And horseback riding? Now you're just braggin. lol! Sounds like a WONDERFUL time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well...
    at least you didn't compare me to Jeff Gordon.

    We had FUN, huh? I'm so glad we finally got to meet in person. And share some Paranormal Activity together.

    And Thriller.

    And Robbie...with his fantastic eyes.

    Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So. Much. Fun.

    Stubborn horses and all.

    Best part of the weekend was getting to meet everyone. Well, that... and Melissa's demonstration. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, baby!