Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Pardon Me, Do You Speak Wookie?

So, my sweet Sophie has been chatting more and more over the past month or so. She is really finding her voice. A friend of mine says her baby speaks Klingon, personally, I think Sophie has developed a rare pidgin dialect of Croatian-Wookie. Neil and I get such a kick listening to her as she has long drawn out conversations with her left hand or the little jingly stuffed elephant that is hanging from the toy bar on her bouncy seat. Occasionally, I will try to communicate in her language, but Wookie is a very difficult language to master, one I think that only the unblemished ear of a child can truly tame and so we have some difficulty. I keep trying to catch her on video but she is a bit camera shy, too many flashes have left her a little shell-shocked, I think.

I wonder what she will sound like when she starts talking for real. What will her voice sound like, and her laugh? Likely the curiosity of every parent, everywhere. I hope she has a laugh like my sister, Briana. She has one of those laughs that is so infectious, it just gets the whole room going. She has started to laugh a little, but they are mostly a kind of grunting laugh. She hasn't quite got the hang of it yet.

I don't want to wish away these early days when she is still so little and everything is so new, but it is hard not to be anxious for all that is to come.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, baby!