Monday, February 28, 2011

The Things We Do

I got my first introduction to the seedy underworld of pre-school registration recently. I had no idea this was such a cut-throat endeavor. I'd heard tales, of course. Seen bits in movies. But I honestly just thought they were urban legends. People don't really clamor for spots, do they?

They do.

When I went to the open house for my chosen pre-school, I was delighted and nervous when I saw just how many other prospective attendees were there. But when talk turned to the process for actual registration my nervousness turned to shock.

Registration was to take place at 6:30pm the following Friday. Parents would be given numbers as they arrived and that is the order they would be registered in. And what time did they think we should come? Well, last year parents began showing up around 10. That's TEN Ay Em. EIGHT AND A HALF HOURS BEFORE REGISTRATION.

When they said that, I snorted and turned to walk out. I wasn't going to waste any more of my time on this BS. But halfway to the door I started thinking. First, this is a great pre-school. I have several friends whose children have gone here and raved about it. Second, it is significantly less expensive than the others I was looking at. Sophie's experience is the most important factor but all other things being equal, if we can save a thousand dollars, I'm not going to turn that down. So I halted my stomping out in protest and decided to listen to the rest of what they had to say.

It turned out to be an enjoyable morning as Sophie took part in typical activities with her future classmates. The teachers were really nice and I believed it a good fit for my daughter.

But there was that registration looming over me.

Over the week and a half leading up to the registration day, I changed my mind a hundred times. Going. Not going. Going. Not going. The idea of lining up and sitting there ALL DAY to sign my daughter up for pre-school was not an appealing one. But in the end, I decided to make the sacrifice. Because I'm officially the best mom ever. Or the craziest. So I asked Neil's parents to watch Sophie for the day and I resigned myself to the insanity.

On the appointed day, I dropped off Sophie and headed to the school. I arrived about 10:30 and I was certain that I would be one of the first people there. Wrong. I was 11th. The first arrived at 6:30. Thaaaat's right. 6:30 am. For pre-school registration.

Fortunately, neither the school nor the other parents were super strict about how we spent our time waiting and while some chose to sit in chairs lined up at the door, I opted to sit within the comfort of my car reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo on my Ipad, with the occasional phone call or game of Angry Birds thrown in to break it up. Around 2, the kindly Katie took pity on me and showed up with a cookies and creme milkshake from Chick Fil A. Otherwise it was a quiet and uneventful day.

At about 6:15, we all lined up at the door of the school and prepared for the magic moment. We filed in and waited for our numbers to be called. With just 14 spots in the morning class I wanted and an unknown number already taken by children whose brothers or sisters had already come through the program, I was not optimistic that Sophie would get in. Sadly, my fears were justified, but there was a spot in the afternoon class. So, despite my concerns about this interfering with her naps, I signed her up. I don't mind telling you, I'm pretty excited for September. Sophie is going to love it there.

I know it's crazy, but those hours seem like a good investment on my daughter's future. Sure, it's just pre-school, but these are formative years, right? I guess I'll just have to chalk this up as yet another on the long and ever-growing list of things I never thought I would do as a parent.

23 comments:

  1. Um, wow. That's a crazy long time to wait. You are a super mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't be happy but if I needed to do this to get any of my kids into school I would do it.

    Congrats on the afternoon Pre K!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say, this is one of the first seemingly 'crazy' things you will go for your kid's schooling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was sad that Gabe didn't get in morning preschool OR kindergarten, but I have to say that I enjoy our mornings together. I will miss him next year when he's in school all day.

    I have learned to never say "never" when it comes to parenting...looks like you are learning that lesson, as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least it wasn't a "must-wait-in-line" kind of waiting, but still, kinda ridiculous, you know? Glad you got a spot for Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are a great mom. It is awesome she got a spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This gives me the sweats. O is 16 months....people are already haunting me about preK...it's CRAZY expensive/competitive where we live....I need to go breathe....HA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job, mama! The afternoon worked really well with my oldest. I hope you have the same experience.

    Yes. That is exactly how our preschool is here, too. My son was accepted into the program (um, yeah I was a 8am mom) but then because of his speech delay he was referred to a different school. It was devastating after all of the work it took to get him in. Now I have to face the same thing with my 3 year old (no speech delay) next week! Eeeek... and a move in 3.5 weeks. Can you say stressed?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go, Mama! Sophie is going to love school and the afternoon class will probably end up being just perfect. Of course, it is also likely that some people with morning slots are psychos who waited in line at five preschools and something might open up. Spoken from the psycho who has her kids almost registered at three schools for the Fall, waiting to figure out if we sell our house and move or not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely a great investment in her future. But how silly that people line up that early! That's a very long time to wait! You'll probably like the afternoon time slot, I would think that it would give more time to get ready and stuff. Well, congrats! It's amazing how kids start to blossom when they start school. Always amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is crazy! You're right though...it makes a difference. I wouldn't have said that a year and a half ago...

    ReplyDelete
  12. you have a couple months to phase out naps but congrats on getting her in, i know how stressed you were!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can totally relate; the preschool I want is doing in-house registration this week. I will be leaving work EACH DAY next week to come and get my mail hoping to get that ever-so-important registration form in the mail. Then I have to mail it back the EXACT same day and hope and pray the mailman puts OUR registration at the top of the pile in the preschool's mailbox. The preschool will not accept hand-delivered forms.

    Yes, at $3.39/gallon, I'm driving home EVERY DAY next week from work. Let's hope it comes on Monday.

    I'm sure that it will be worth it for Sophie. It's a big step in her life and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry - the Anonymous is me above :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe Soph will give up her nap between now and then and this will be a godsend to you. I'm not saying this out loud, because I would not wish the no nap scenario on ANYONE, but I would totally sign N. up for afternoon if it wouldn't screw up L's potential someday napping, and interfere with getting O. off the bus.
    And right now you are saying to yourself: Thank God I decided to have an only child. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad I missed the preschool train for my youngest. Homeschooling may not be for everyone, but when I think of the hassles and expenses we're evading this time around, it makes my head cold in March seem much, much better. :)

    Glad she got a spot, though. Afternoon is tricky for some kids but for others it's actually the best choice. Maybe she'll respond well to having a slow wake up and play time before school?

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! You really camped out all day at the preschool? That is amazing. I know of many who have had to do the same in the name of education for their children.

    I'm guessing you will be glad you did it come September! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. hurray and welcome to the crazy train!!! would you like the caboose or the dining area?

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's the little sacrifices (or, big!) like this that we make for our children that are important and really well worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy cow! Everything in DC (next year's 2-yr-old coops, all public 3 and 4s, and some public even beyond that) is done by lottery. The randomness of it freaks me out -- life could be very different depending on the pull of a number! -- but at least there are no crazy campouts.

    Hope she has a great time next year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yikes.... we never had to go through that with either girl - thank goodness!!!! I know she's gonna be So happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on getting a spot! I don't think you're crazy at all for what you did, considering I started the line at my girls preschool at 2pm the PREVIOUS DAY for an 8am sign up. Yep, I slept in my car to ensure that both of my girls would go to the best preschool in town and I would do it again in a second. And yes, I know I'm nuts. But I'm ok with that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The only thing I've waited that long for is NKOTB tickets. (Is that something I should admit??)

    PS: Glad you got her registered!

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, baby!