Friday, June 13, 2008

Back from the Edge

Yesterday was one long day but, mercifully, it's over. Somehow I managed to avoid a ho-ho breakdown, so the diet is still marginally intact. Of course, the pizza and cinnastix for dinner probably don't help but since they were part of a meal I'm not counting those as a real splurge. I'm reverting to my ostrich theory of dieting that if the number of calories and fat are not written on it, then there aren't any. Of course that might be how I got where I am now, but lets not kibble over details. There was just no way I was cooking and lets face it, gobs and gobs of cheese are so gratifying when you're coming off of a day like that. So the good news is that I was actually able to get about six hours of sleep last night with only one wake up by the babe AND she went down for a two and a half hour nap this morning. I said to hell with the no naps business and laid down myself for a nice long snooze. And I'm back, people. I feel refreshed and ready to take on the world. Or at least my little slice of it.

Sophie and I went to a mom's group this afternoon with one of the mom's I met in swim class. It's a group of stay-at-home moms that get together once a month, rotating through their houses. It's the first time I've had an opportunity to really sit down with a bunch of other SAHMs. Of course there were the usual war stories about our birth experiences and how our babies slept and so on. And it was EXACTLY what I needed. I forget sometimes how much I miss interacting with adults. I get so caught up in our little world here that sometimes days will go by where the only people I talk to are Neil and Sophie. And obviously, Sophie isn't much of a conversationalist. I realized the other day that I had not gone farther than the sidewalk in four days. Four freaking days! I felt like an agoraphobic.

Sophie enjoyed watching the other babies and exploring an entirely new space. She was in good humor for a solid two hours before getting a might cranky. I decided it was time to go, we said our thanks and were out the door. I am happy to report that this:

was the result of her busy afternoon. In case you can't tell, that is one passed out baby. And when we got home she moved her nap in to her crib and slept for another hour and a half. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are few prettier sights than a sleeping baby.


  1. Welcome back and good for you that you already know some other moms! I feel like I didn't really start meeting moms until my bub was almost one, and I definitely could have used some emotional support and adult conversation much earlier!

  2. Oh, that precious little baby head! Give me that painful little twinge in my gut. Mine are both long past that stage of sleeping in their little baby car seats. *sigh!*


Give me some sugar, baby!