Friday, May 30, 2008

I took a Sick Day

I admit to occasionally being frustrated with the other parental unit in the house. I know, I know, it's hard to believe, but it is true. However, in the last couple of days I have been overwhelmed by what a fabulous husband and father I lucked into. I came home from a monthly girls' dinner on Wednesday and shortly after I laid down I started to feel a little under the weather. Then I noticed a huge painful lump in righty. Since I have been breastfeeding for almost eight months now (wow!), I have had many a lump, but few have been quite so big or painful. I massaged it for a while and I think I was reasonably successful in working out the blockage but the pain continued. As the night wore on I felt worse and worse and at one point I thought I might have food poisoning from my very eclectic dinner choices. Note to self: don't mix fried pickles, ceasar salad, rare ahi, and brussell sprouts (only a taste...and yuck). That might have explained the nausea but not the fever, aches and general malaise that had settled in. I spent the whole night tossing and turning, piling clothes on and then stripping them off, as I went from hot to cold and back again.

By morning I was in pretty bad shape, but I sent Neil off to work with a kiss anyway. By some sort of crazy miracle, Sophie let me sleep in until 8am. Sometimes I think that kid knows more than she lets on. I tried to tough it out, playing with her and trying to be business as usual, but after an hour or so it was clear that I was in as bad, if not worse shape than I had been the previous night. So when Neil sent me an email asking how I was and if I needed him to come home, I was so relieved. Mercifully, about this time Sophie was ready for a nap, so I fed her and put her down while I waited for Neil to get home. I decided a shower would make me feel better so I headed for the bathroom. As I stripped down, I happened to look in the mirror (something I normally avoid doing out of respect for my fragile ego) and noticed the fist-sized strawberry birthmark-looking discoloration right where the painful lump had been and realized that what I had been fearing since I began breastfeeding and had been hoping all night wasn't the case, in fact, was...dunh, dunh, dunh...mastitis.

So after a call to my gyno with a request for some antibiotics, I was off to bed. I spent most of the rest of the day curled up in bed while Neil watched the bean. Every three hours or so he would bring her to me for a feeding and a cuddle but other than that he manned the fort. Of course, I still made dinner, but he did offer to order pizza, so I can't be bitter about that.

Now here's the really horrible admission: I actually enjoyed my sick day. Don't get me wrong, I was totally miserable, but having a whole day where I didn't change a diaper or have to worry about entertaining the baby or my husband and all I had to do was lay in bed, sleep and watch the Wire in the Blood dvd from Netflix that's been sitting on the table for a week because I haven't had time to watch it, was actually kind of nice. Its a cool show, by the way, I just love BBC.

TGIF, I've had a couple of doses of the antibiotics. Most of the symptoms have disappeared, the pain is down to a dull roar and unbelievably, Sophie let me sleep in until 8 again. I feel like a new person. The moral of the story is, don't get mastitis because it really does suck, but if you do, it's almost worth it for the mini-vacation.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that antibiotics have begun to work. I swear I had every possible breastfeeding problem (including a half-inch open sore that stayed that way for three months, TMI?) but never mastitis. Sounds really painful.

    But hey, a vacation is a vacation. I love my son, but sometimes I would choose disinfecting a pooped-in bathtub over putting him to bed. There are all kinds of vacations?!

    Thanks so much for adding me to your blog roll! I feel honored. I have some plans to update and prettify my blog soon and will add the Land of Bean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. I've had it once with two different babies and that's the worst!!! I can't believe you tried to tough it out AND that you made dinner. Holy cow you're amazing! Mastitis is awful...but I'll tell you a secert...I kind of felt the same way about enjoying being "off duty" for awhile...it's just a shame we have to suffer for it.

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, baby!