Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Through the Night

Yesterday started off fantastically. By some sort of miracle, Sophie slept in until 8:45. Or I guess I should say that Neil and I slept until 8:45 (!) and she wasn't crying or really even making any noise when we got up, so I can only assume that she slept in, too. When I woke up and looked over at the clock, I did a double take thinking maybe I had read it wrong. But the oversized numbers on the clock for nearly blind people that my mom gave me did not lie. I do not have bad eyesight, by the way, but my mom is always thinking ahead.

The funny thing about this is that I was the quintessential night person. Back in my other life as a bartender, I was rarely in bed before 5 or 6am and it was a very rare day that I was up before noon. When I began working at GWWO and had to get up to be to work at 8:30, I was in shock. I had so rarely seen that part of the day except at the end of the previous one in the preceding 10 years that morning as the beginning was an unfamiliar experience. Since those times, I have adjusted to the normal circadian sleep patterns. While I have not turned into a morning person, I generally don't sleep past 8 or so and now with Sophie we are generally up by 7. Neil, however, is the consummate morning person, he goes in to work at 6am by choice...BY CHOICE. Crazy, huh? Opposites attract, I guess. So the very fact that we slept so late is pretty amazing, but the fact that Sophie did, too, is downright momentous.

I don't hold out much hope that this is the beginning of any sort of a trend, but gosh that would be nice.

To round out the day, Sophie slept straight through to 5:30am after going to bed at 7pm! I was so delighted with her. Of course, she was starving when she woke up, so in her enthusiasm she overate and then threw up all over her crib. Even on the bumper that I'm not supposed to have in there. So there I am at 5:30am stripping off the sheet, sheet protector (ha) and contraband bumper while she is laying on her changing table gurgling and chatting up a storm, completely unfazed by the event. I'm thinking to myself, I would rather have gotten up twice than have to deal with this. The irony is that just yesterday I was commenting on how it had been so long since we'd had any trouble of that sort. Silly me.

I couldn't think what pictures might be appropriate to go with this entry, so I just put in some fun ones that we took tonight while Neil was playing with Sophie. I absolutely love the middle one where Sophie is looking so coyly at her Papa. Melts my heart, it does.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, baby!