Thursday, March 13, 2008

Wait Loss

My dad always said that it was when he turned 30 that he started to have to watch what he ate. I always laughed and thought, "it will never be me!" With the confidence of youth, I honestly thought it was something I would never have to worry about. Boy, was I wrong. I swear the day I turned 30, food started settling in on my hips and butt in ways it never had . Despite this, I managed to stay in the single digits size-wise until I met Neil. I don't blame Neil for my weight gain since then, but if he weren't around...just kidding, my love! A friend of mine told me there was nothing so hard on your waistline as a happy love life and truer words have never been spoken. (That's me at my first birthday, obviously I had issues with food even then.)

So, as many of you know, I've been struggling with getting those last baby pounds off, not to mention the couple extra from the previous couple of happily married years. I have been exercising nearly every day for the last month or so and am watching what I eat. Mostly watching it from the plate to my mouth, ha. That's a terrible joke. Seriously, though, I am being a bit more aware of portion size and such. Of course, I just got back from lunch at the Olive Garden with my parents- and sisters-in law and managed to clean my plate. I did leave a couple of bites of my dessert, though. Does that count as restraint?

The really hard part is that almost none of my pre-baby clothes fit and I just can't bring myself to buy a whole new wardrobe of clothes in the size I currently am. Neil's suggestion was that I lose weight. Well, gosh, I hadn't considered that option. He's lucky to have survived that particular comment. Never mind that it's true (said through gritted teeth). I have bought a few things, though. It is simply unavoidable.

As I was walking through the mall the other day, I passed by the store for curvy girls, I won't name it but it sounds like Schmane Schmyant. (Here's something funny - spell check is okay with Schmane but not Schmyant?) Dejected from less than satisfactory trying-on experiences in my usual stores, I decided to go in. I just have to say, this was a major ego boost. It was really great to be the smallest girl in there. And here's the best part, I actually had to ask a salesgirl if they had a particular pair of pants in the smallest size they carry! Now, I really don't want this to become my regular store, but I just may visit again for a little confidence boost when my spirits are down from the fact that weight loss is such a slow process.

**I would just like to say that I do not blame my parents, my husband, my child or society for my weight ills. Clearly the blame rests solely on the fast food industry who tempt me with their irresistibly seductive commercials. Meanwhile, Neil has been the most supportive husband I could ask for. He tells me how beautiful I am many times a day, even when its not true. I could, and probably will, do a post dedicated to just how wonderful he is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, baby!