Sunday, September 13, 2009

Cousteau She's Not















We went to the National Aquarium in Baltimore on Friday for Sophie's first visit to see the fishies. We met some old friends and their beautiful daughter there. While it was lovely to spend an afternoon with people I don't see nearly often enough these days and enjoying some (mostly) adult conversation, Sophie was a little less than cooperative for most of the visit. I wish I could say that my little bean went from one amazing underwater view to the next, oohing and aahing over the countless aqautic wonders, but the truth is that she spent the entire time pulling me/racing towards the escalators and moving sidewalks that transport visitors between the levels in the multi-storied building.






















Next time, I'm just gonna take her to the mall and save the $25.

*Just so you don't think I'm a terrible mother, during the photographing of this picture is the only time I let go of her on the escalator. Looking at this picture now, my mind goes to some pretty gruesome places involving fingers smushed in the stairs. Shudder.

12 comments:

  1. It is a tough age! They never stop moving, it's incredible... and totally tiring for us, too! My 19 month old LOVES going up and down the escalator... I usually always hold his hand but I'd totally let go for a photo op, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Loukia....I'd totally let go for a photo op too, lol. Looks like there's P L E N T Y of time before you get close to danger!

    Great shot! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, last time we went to the aquarium Shea was 18 months...haven't been back.
    And the escalators!!! Even my big kids STILL love to ride those things..

    ReplyDelete
  4. My girls loved escalators. And elevators. And still at 8 and 11 they fight over who gets to push the button.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you on the whole saving money thing. I have taken my kids so many places and all they want to do it play in the parking lot with the rocks. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, this was a summer of "free" outings.

    One of our favorite places is the YMCA. Pools, bike trails, hiking trails, frisbee golf, deer in the woods...

    Way more fun, and way less money. Win-win situation in my book.

    I love that photo! (I'm calling 241-KIDS now, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speaking of escalators....I have an Emmy story. Would you believe it? We went to a really big church one time that had an escalator and as we got off, Emily turned right around and started going on the down escalator. I quickly grabbed her, terrified she would go tumbling down the stairs, and then proceeded to moronically try to climb back up the down side. My other kids were waiting at the top for me so I didn't want to go all the way to the bottom....

    ReplyDelete
  8. That picture is perfectly safe. You're in the middle. It's all good.

    Yes. Go to the mall. Get a coffee and let her have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is it about escalators and elevators that kids find fascinating?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's a pistol that one.
    A mover and a shaker!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only gone to the aquarium here on my friend's family pass. I don't think it's a $25 experience anywhere, especially with toddlers and their short attention spans!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Something about escalators! Kids just gravitate towards them...in all the wrong ways.

    I hear you on saving on admission at the aquarium. We took our daughter there once too. Once. :)

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, baby!