Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snow Bunnies

















We've returned from the frozen reaches of western Maryland. We had some laughs. There were also some tears - it was a VERY disappointing loss by the Ravens. We got Sophie out in the snow. She didn't love it. We did some skiing and a lot more laying around in front of the fire. There was LOTS of eating. And some drinking. I proved my dominance on the pool table. :)

This was our first trip with Sophie that didn't involve visiting family. We discovered that traveling with a baby is more complicated than previously expected. Here are just a few of the discoveries we made on this trip:

- Toddlers don't understand that vacation means they can sleep in. In fact, they also don't understand that it means other people might want to sleep in, too. Sophie got up earlier and earlier each morning. By our last morning, she was up at 5:30. Which leads me to my next revelation...

- Toddlers have no volume control, which is especially noticeable at 5:30 am when you're trying not to wake an entire house full of people who are sleeping off football depression and ski soreness.

- Murphy's Law dictates that despite the fact that my daughter has never had a diaper rash (I know, right?), she would get a really, really nasty one while we are away. With no diaper creme. Meanwhile, due to a bit of overzealous drugstore.com ordering, we have 14 tubes at home.

- Men's coats are NOT flattering to the female figure. Since one of us had to stay back with the bean, Neil and I shared a lift ticket. My coat wouldn't fit him, so we put the lift ticket on his and alternated wearing it. I can't count the number of times people called me sir. Definitely good on the ego. Not.

- A 3.5 hour road trip that would probably not be a problem becomes a problem when a cranky baby only sleeps one hour and a 35 car pile up (horrible, horrible thing) causes our trip to take an hour longer.

- Oh yeah, and we used approximately 1/10 of the stuff I packed.

Ultimately, it was a good time. The house was amazing, we could literally ski in/ski out. The mountain, while small by most standards, had good snow and the weather was tolerable. Maybe next year we can get the bean on some skis!

17 comments:

  1. Looks like some rough weather there in Maryland. Just became a follower and strolled a few ads for ya.

    Just added a post about a bike "accident"...check it out if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. vote yes to the bean on skis!! love that pile up we had the good fortune of being able to go around it due to GPS got to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally hear you on the man's coat thing! I've been wearing my husband's big winter coat all season long since mine won't button/zip over my belly :( I hate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just noticed Liam in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Travelling with kids is never what you think it will be. But it WILL get easier. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The couple of trips via airplane that we took Mady on, she decided she wanted to "vaca" like Mommy and Daddy. She stayed up with us, refusing to go to sleep as we shared a king size bed. It was cute for 2 minutes and then I wanted to scream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... look at all that snow! I can relate to vacationing with little ones. And after 9 years of traveling with kids, I still pack too much stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that trips with kids are a lot of work to prepare for, but trust me--keep it up! If you like to travel (which I absolutely do!) make sure you keep doing it so she gets used to it. We didn't have a choice b/c we lived away from our family at times, but my kids are really used to being in the car and planes for long periods of time--it's worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that sounds like an awesome trip. I love all the things your learned, just goes to show, live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, yes. Toddler travel. I know it well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. But look at how cute she is in the snow...all is forgiven.

    Yes...indeed...we must discuss. ELLEN?!?!? And what's going on with Kara? Did NOT see the Dee disaster going down that way, either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, I'm sorry the Bean was so unhappy. But the house, friends and skiing sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a lot of fun and your lessons had me laughing out loud.

    14 tubes of diaper rash cream?! It's a daily use item at our home, but I don't think we go through even half that many tubes in a year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is the CUTEST picture of Sopie stuffed into all of that winter gearage!

    And you know even though you did not use but 1/10 of the stuff you packed, if you had not, you undoubtedly would have needed it!

    I'm sorry to hear about her diaper rash, those truley suck:(

    This is the first of many adventures you and your hubby are going to go on with kids. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how funny! My teen girls also got a rude awakening when they found out that you can't sleep in during vacations. ha ha ha. Life never chances much does it?

    Sorry about your Ravens. I was ill when I watched that game. More ill when Pittspuke won.

    ReplyDelete
  16. She is adorable. And isn't it funny how toddlers don't understand the concept of sleeping in? On vacation?

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, baby!